The treatment and prevention of oral/facial injuries and related issues
- 30 – 50% of sports injuries are preventable.
- Properly fitting mouth guards are essential for contact sports like football, boxing, martial arts and hockey
- Mouth guards should be used for auto racing, basketball, baseball, soccer, roller blading, wrestling, racquetball, bicycle riding, surfing, and skateboarding, weight lifting, racquetball, lacrosse, rugby, ski racing.
- Mouth guard design and fabrication is extremely important.
- Dental injuries are the most common types of oral facial injuries sustained during sports.
- Sports dentistry deals with much more than mouth guards.